Active School Flag
What is the Active School Flag?
The Active School Flag (ASF) is awarded to schools that strive to achieve a physically educated and physically active school community. The process aims to get more schools, more active, more often. Schools must self-evaluate their current provision across 3 areas: Physical Education, Physical Activity and Partnerships. Schools must also organise an Active School Week. Schools that meet the ASF success criteria will be awarded the active flag. ASF is a Department of Education and Skills initiative supported by Healthy Ireland. To learn more about the Active School Flag initiative, visit their website: www.activeschoolflag.ie
Why get active?
Did you know that four out of five children in the Republic of Ireland are still not getting enough exercise, posing serious risks to their health and wellbeing? We know that the effects of inactivity are frightening but there is no doubt that regular physical activity has huge physical and mental benefits for our younger generation. The benefits of being active for physical and mental health are huge. Being active helps release chemicals in your brain (endorphins), which have a positive effect on your mood, not to mention the benefits to your heart, lungs, muscles and bones. Getting out and being active is also a great way to manage stress.
10 Health Benefits
Physical activity helps a child to…
- Improve agility, balance and co-ordination.
- Feel more energised – endorphins are released into their bloodstream during activity.
- Feel happier, by reducing feelings of stress, anxiety and depression.
- Burn and generate more energy.
- Improve their physical and mental wellbeing.
- Maintain healthy weight.
- Prevents sickness and illness because physical activity can help build a healthy heart, develop strong muscles and bones and may help reduce the risk of some chronic diseases that may occur in later life.
- Improve concentration.
- Improve self-esteem and helps them feel good about themselves.
- Develop friendships.
Active School Committee, St Louis G.N.S.
To maintain our Active Flag status, we need the continued help of our students. We have a pupil from each class represented on our Active School Committee who meet regularly throughout the year. The Active Flag Committee members selected this year are: Patrycja, Katherine, Eliza, Willow, Clodagh S, Rhianna, Greta, Clodagh Mc, Sienna and Haydn. Under the guidance of the ASF co-ordinators Mrs Hannon and Miss O’Reilly, the girls organise playground games, class competitions and leagues, carry out surveys, help with the organisation of Active School week and much more….